Expertise in Power Electronics
Cysca-Sysacom has expertise in power electronics such as inverter, switching mode power supply and magnetic component designs. Over the years we develop various types of power supply topologies such as Power Factor Correction, Buck, Boost, Flyback, Full-bridge, push-pull, etc. We will develop your custom made power supply tailored to your application and to meet your specific requirements.
A Custom Power Supply Design?
In the market there are many suppliers for off-the-shelf power supplies and each offers a large variety: so why the need for a custom design? There are various reasons justifying this approach, think about particular output voltages and currents combination or about specific dimensions and form factor. There are also other less obvious reasons:
- You require that your power supply sends a signal to your controller in advance of a sudden turn-off to allow your controller to gracefully shut-down and save critical information. This would require assurance of a specific hold-up time.
- You need huge power peak, but reasonable mean power.
- You need a very well filtered input current to filter-out any current correlated with the information processed in the controller; this may be required in security applications.
- You may need high voltage.
- You may need current source type output.
- Obviously there are many other reasons for custom design; do not hesitate to contact us about your requirements.
Switching Mode Power Supply Topologies
- AC/DC: Convert AC voltage to DC voltage.
- DC/DC: Convert DC voltage to DC voltage.
- PFC: Power factor correction; AC/DC converter using a simple diode bridge to create DC voltage produce an input current that is much distorted and with a very low power factor. Using a PFC front-end to AC/DC converter greatly reduce the distortion and produce almost perfect power factor.
- BUCK, BOOST and FLYBACK: A single inductor Buck type converter is non-isolated and produces an output voltage that is lower than the input voltage. A single inductor Boost type converter is non-isolated and produces an output voltage that is higher than the input voltage. A single inductor Flyback (Buck-boost) type converter is non-isolated and produces an output voltage that is either lower or higher than the input voltage but has an inverted polarity.
- PUSH-PULL, HALF-BRIDGE, FULL-BRIDGE, FORWARD, FLYBACK: One of these topologies shall be selected if you need an isolated power supply; the choice is made based on cost/performances, input/output voltages, power level, input/output ripple, etc.
Digital and Analog Control Methods
Power supplies are mostly composed of two sections: The power sections and the control section.
Historically the control section was using analog circuitry and was using continuous time control theory, still today most power supply are based on continuous time control such as voltage mode, peak current mode, average current mode, critical conduction mode, etc. In these cases the PWM switching pattern is generated by sawtooth oscillator and comparator.
There is a new tendency to use processor to generate PWM switching pattern; this method is generally called digital power supply. In digital power the controller shall implement the feedback loop and make use of discrete time control theory. This is a new paradigm penetrating the market starting with special application requiring more control and functionality such as battery charger, inverter, solar power system, etc.
Custom Magnetic Components Design
Switching mode power supply contains power semiconductors such as IGBT, MOSFET, DIODE and passive components such as capacitors, inductors and transformers. Semiconductors, capacitors and inductors are available almost off-the-shelf, but this is really not the case for power transformer. Most transformers need to be custom design and manufactured.
At Cysca-Sysacom we develop ferrite transformer operating at frequency over 100KHz for various type of power supply such as for flyback, push-pull and full-bridge, multi-outputs other single-output. Sometimes we make use of coupled-inductor; so in these cases we design the entire inductor. We also design some tapped inductor for special application.
Our team will handle your next power supply design
We have design engineers, PCB layout team, model shop for prototypes and low volume production, test equipments, committed suppliers for components manufacturing including custom magnetic transformers and inductors. But the most important is that we have a strong dedication to success.
Because you need to rely on experts to bring your product design to completion, Cysca-Sysacom is the best partner for you.
Do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to help you through to your final product.